Thursday, October 19, 2006

Kiran As Today's Godfather

India again felt proud of a brain drain. Kiran Desai an Indian born author, settled in England won Man Bookers Prize. She has hardly experienced the hardships of a developing country. She had been living in developed country. She had all the privilege and facilities of a developed nation. She had environment of a developed nation. She is fortunate to have all those privileges, even though she tells about her hardships. Is her feelings or Booker’s award justify brain drain? Alas some more brain drains should have taken place few decades back. But, when we can not do anything about it, why to talk about past? Can we make use of present situation for our future growth?

Resident Indians have to take few lessons here and there. The excellence creation is almost impossible in developing countries at this juncture. That is why the country is devoid of individuals who excels. The situation in the first decade of 21st century had been difficult in India. However, the way situation is changing; at least I find some hope that in next few years some improvements should take place. People in general will become more responsible to give due respect for excellence. Individual will be able to excel. World class creativity will emerge from new respectful and understanding environment.

As Kiran has won Bookers Prize, few factual incidences about her life of last few years are being written. News papers and magazines are writing about her. Now she has achieved international fame, but it would be interesting to know those old stories. I hope few lessons from these stories of non-resident Indians will help all conscious resident people. These writings at times work like a godfather. You will have to feel it to find it out. I shall just put those points one by one.

“I think more Indians should write,” she says.

The famous female editor from The New Yorker magazine was in no doubt about the quality of Kiran Desai’s new novel. “This is,” she told the apprehensive author, “the worst book I have ever read in my life. It is perverse, horrible and awful, and there is no way to rescue it.”

John Sutherland, chairman of last year’s Booker panel, noted that the book needed “a good going-over by a good editor”.

Her first book took four years to write and she labored for eight years on the latest. Emerging as a virtual unknown from her long self imposed isolation was painful.

The book had become a “monster”, growing out of control. “I wrote 1,500 pages and cut it down to 300. When I finished, it wasn’t greeted with great love, especially in England. No one wanted it. No one cared.” Kiran told after winning the coveted Man Booker Prize of ₤50,000.

Her book had sold only 2,396 copies when it entered the award’s long list, rising to 500 copies a week when she was short listed. It can now expect the 15-fold sales bounce of a Man Booker winner.

Transformed from obscurity to international fame is an instant.

Her grandfather was a judge who studied at Cambridge, just like her leading fictional character, although the latter was consumed by self-hatred of his Indian-ness.

She was shocked by the differences between India and the rest of the world. Although she says she still feels foreign in America, she is clearly a product of it.

As a penniless writer in Brooklyn, she shared a small apartment with a former clown, a fashion designer and a waitress. Their noise drove her to distraction and into the kitchen, where she wrote and nibbled biscuits. Eight years passed.

“I was living in a completely different time frame, completely isolated. I wouldn’t answer the phone in all those years. I was scared of it.” Publishers had forgotten her and moved on.

But one day last month the phone rang and an instinct made her pick it up. It was her publisher. Twenty calls followed in quick succession. The dizzy whirling of recognition had begun.

Indians on the path towards developed nation will have to pass through significant changes. The excellence will emerge from a better environment. There is a need to have urgent behavioral changes towards competitions and excellence. I have personally faced the situations since last more than one year which forces me to rethink what keeps on moving? What really motivates you? What keeps your balance intact? Kiran story may be today’s solution? Is it not a good godfather for the people like me for achieving those desired excellence? I shall explain how and why?

It would be interesting to study the responses I got from one of my highest educated relative. He is post graduate in Engineering from McGill University Canada. He communicated his anger on my work as follows.

I happen to read some of the portion of the book. Some of my initial thoughts.

1. Now a days anyone can become a write, simply its needs dedication, passion and hardwork. You have proved it.
2. As I said earlier, why you did not research the topic earlier, and may be would have got Master or Ph.D. for this. This would have given you more credibility to write even non-sense and people would have beleived you more. However, in absense of that, why you didn't got it forwarded by well known author.
3. I was not sure you wanted to write biography or wanted to give live and real example in making your point. However, you missed some points which is known to everybody.
4. Till now I got a mixed feelings. Some time I became happy that you took courage to write something, sometime angry as why you discribe so much of your personal details.
5. I don't know how much comfortable are you about yours detail, but certainly I am not comfortable with mine. At least make sure you take out my name out. I could easily ban the book being published at at least being circulated in US easily as it deals personal detals which most likely matches personal life without prior consent.
6. The book needs to be halved to be more focussed, concise and relevant. Otherwise its non-sense and random frustration of life.

Hope you get somethngs. Keep in mind we don't have much time to serf internet and blogging for nothing. Who will pay for this. However, you are lucky. Umesh

----- Original Message ----From: Kamendra Verma To: "Umesh Prasad, Dr." Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 1:58:43 AMSubject: Re: Fw: Order Receipt # from www.lulu.com
Hi

Thanks for writing to me personaly and exclusively. Thanks also for calling on my mobile first time. It is great.

I am very very sorry if I have heart you anywhere. Pl give me few lines writeup and I will replace with the exisitng one in the website.

Thanks for ordering the book. Pl read it, there may be some objectional sentences, opinion and nalysis there too which may remind you to call me and tell me about some my sore points. Pl go ahead.

I love you all and continue doing it in my way. When illiterate elders have confidence to do their way, I am at least literate one.

Bye.
kamekish "Umesh Prasad, Dr." wrote:

KK, your comment on me on the public domain was very painful. I think you have gone crazy; especially, knowing about you from parents, brothers, and other family members. You cannot stand the criticism which I may explaing on your website also. However, I will not do. It personal grudge only and will keep it personal.

I hope you realize it.
Umesh

Comments written on www.lulu.com/content/231873

Recently, Umesh Prasad came to India and stayed with me. He is in US for last ten years. The quality of living style of his family forced me and my wife to cry. They are living a pathetic life even in US. I pray God, he could have had time to read my book. It would have helped them to live a better life. His wife is a post graduate. She is a home maker. She has free time to read. But she is not doing this. In spite, the whole family live a confused, disorganised and discontented life. The fate of children remain at risk in the confused environment. Hope, they remain free to do something better in life. I am pained because I have written one of the best book. I have my earnest desire that people read them and at least make their life better and prosperous
Some of the responses from Indian Publishers are as follows.

From Rupa & co.


Dear Mr. Verma,
Thank you for considering our Company. Unfortunately the publishing list is full right now and we are unable to take on any new projects. We wish you luck in placing your manuscript elsewhere.With regards,
Editorial Deptt.
Rupa & Co.

From Vivekafoundation on Thu, 13 Apr 2006

Dear Mr. Verma

I am terribly terribly sorry for the delay in replying to your query about the manuscript. I was travelling and then had to rest at home since I was quite unwell. I have come to office just today.

About the manuscript, I regret that this is not the kind of work that Viveka Foundation publishes. Our work is altogether of a different nature. However, I'm sure you will find another publisher whose work corresponds more closely to what you do.

I hope you undersatnd.
Warm regards and good luck
Rukmini

From anil.chandy@oup.com

Dear Mr Verma:

Thanks for your mail and details of your proposed book.

We have had a chance to look at it and feel that we may not be the most appropriate publishers for you. We are primarily publishers of academic social science and given this, we may not be able to take your project on.

Thank you for considering OUP India and I wish you the best in finding a suitable publisher.

with best wishes,

Anil Chandy

Anil Joseph Chandy
Editorial Development Manager
Oxford University Press India

Mail sent on Thu, 10 Nov 2005

Dear Mr. Sharma,

Thank you for considering us for publication of your book.

This new topic appears to be interesting. As the book doen not fall in the our desired subjects, so we may please be excused.

Warm regards

D Kumar
----- Original Message -----
From: Kamendra Verma
To: siprapub
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 11:03 AM
Subject: Re: Shipra Publications - Book Publications

Dear Mr D kumar,

Happy and propserous Diwali for you and you family.

Please refer to our discussion on day before yesterday. I am enclosing a 20 pages synopsis for your ready reference. I feel the topic is very new and certain amount of confidentiality needs to be mainatained. As the topic is fast changing there is a need to take up the task on priority. Keeping this in mind, I request you to give due priority to publish it as early as pssible.

I am available on my mobile and it would be my pleasure to clarify any points.

Thanking you and waiting for a positive response.
siprapub wrote:
Dear Mr Verma,

Seasons' Greetings.

Seen your mail, thank you very much.

Your book falls in the category of "Personality Development", please correct me if I am wrong. Any good book on the subject should be acceptable. Once you complete it, you may kindly send it for its review.

Regards,


D Kumar
Director

Some interesting responses from well known personalities are as follows.

"NK Dhir"
Dear Kamendra, Thanks for your mail. I'm delighted to go thro' the att of the mail,and would be delighted to meet you on a convenient date and time. Presently I'm out of town but will be back soon to catch up with you,Regards,
Maj Gen Dhir

Sat, 22 Jul 2006

Dear Verma,

I will do the needful.
regards.

Brig Sapra

From "Sabharwal D.P." Sat, 8 Apr 2006

Dear Kamendra Verma

I have gone through the synopsis.The theme is good and so is your handling and presentation.I feel your book is more meaningful to younger generation than the older people and meant more for international audience than Indian. Publishing a book (by yourself)as I said earlier is easy but marketing is difficult, so you ahve to look for a publisher. For that you have to try really hard.So, make a beginning and best of luck DP sabharwal

From "Gurcharan Das" Fri, 5 May 2006

Dear Shri Kamendra Verma,

Unfortunately, Mr Das is away for the next 3 months. He is hard at work on his next book as he has a deadline to meet. He hopes that you will understand if he cannot help you and not able to write to you personally.
Warm regards,

Shiju Chacko
Personal assistant to Mr Das


There are many people who have not responded. The list is long and it may not be justified to list them here. All these occurrences depict one thing and that is the tremendous hardships in the path of innovation. It becomes difficult to maintain a balance between confidence and ego. The direction appears vague. The destination remains vague. All these are the challenges to leave the level to reach to a distant level. Any growing person can relate these situations for their own satisfaction and direction. The story of Kiran gives some hope and direction. Wisdom flows from unexpected sources. We need to be conscious and aware. Posted by Picasa

No comments: